The Southernmost Homeless Assistance League , commonly called SHAL , is a non-profit organization incorporated under the laws of Florida. The purpose of SHAL is to ensure that that individuals and families in Monroe County, Florida, receive the basic human right of housing by ensuring that housing and services are available to homeless people in the County and by developing strategies to prevent homelessness.
SHAL operates the homeless services program from the City of Key West. This program currently includes the operation of the Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter , commonly called KOTS , and the Mobile Outreach Program, commonly called the MOP.
SHAL is a member of the Monroe Country Continuum of Care.
The City of Key West funds the Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter and the Mobile Outreach Program with the generous support of the following organizations:
- Florida Department of Children and Families – Emergency Solutions Grant
- Klaus Murphy Foundation
- Monroe County Substance Abuse Policy Advisory Board – Clerk’s Drug Abuse Trust Fund
- Nursing Faculty of the Florida Keys Community College
- Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa
- Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Keys – Coconut Closet
- Southernmost Veterans of Foreign Wars Chapter, Post 3911